Answers can be found on the Ministry of Labour website: Ontario.ca/labour
1. What kind of workers are not covered by the Employment Standards Act ? (Circle all that apply)
2. What is the general hourly minimum wage? List three (3) exceptions to this wage rate:
3. List three (3) of the many rights and duties that workers have under Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act.
4. Enter the minimum age for the following jobs:
5. After working seven (7) hours without a break, Joseph was offered an unpaid lunch break (eating period) of 20 minutes. List two (2) ways this situation is against the rules about breaks under the Employment Standards Act.
6. Name four (4) general methods of controlling exposure to health hazards:
7. Who can be required to work on public holidays (name four (4) occupations), and what should they be paid?
8. Fill in the blanks after each question: [3 marks]
9. Brad makes $100 per week, and has been working at a restaurant for two (2) years. His boss informs him that, although he is a good employee, he is no longer needed, and will be permanently laid off. How much termination pay, or how much notice, should Brad receive? ____
10. Omar is 20 years old and works full-time at a factory making $12.00 per hour. One day, his boss sends him home after he has worked only two (2) hours. According to the minimum wage “three (3) hour rule,” how much should Omar be paid? (Note: This answer will change when the minimum wage rate increases) ____
TOTAL SCORE: ___ out of 30